Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sharing Creativity with Retired Items

Sometimes a product catches my interest because of a sentimental reason.  And after this product (in this case, a stamp set) retires, I have a very hard time letting go of it.  Such is the case of Beautiful Ride.

My first car was a Volkswagon Bug.  It was a 1968 Navy blue car, and I got it while I was in college and in need of a ride to the school in which I was student teaching.  I named it "Hubie" (because what college girl doesn't name her car, right?).  Hubie and I were great friends for 2 years; he got me through snowstorms, flooded streets, and kept running while I waited in very long lines to buy gas (how many of you remember gas rationing in the '70's?).  So when I graduated and moved away from home (3000 miles!), I had to sell Hubie--broke my heart!  But I've never forgotten him, and am now a loyal VW driver, on my 4th Passat!

But I digress...So when I saw Beautiful Ride, I knew I had to invite Hubie back into my life.  And I can't let him go.

So bear with me, while I take a nostalgic trip with a card that I made for a colleague who just returned from Hawaii and is having a birthday:

Cute, huh?

Now I have no idea where I got this palm tree die.  I think it may have been at a Scrapbook Expo a year or two ago, but it was in my box of dies and I saw it...had to use it.  And my Hubie is yellow...because it went with the retired designer series paper for the gift (which you'll see in a minute).  Indulge me here...

I started with sand from High Tide, stamped in Sahara Sand.  And added a few wisps of grass in Old Olive.  Then I sponged some ocean using Pool Party ink, over which I stamped the water from High Tide with Marina Mist.  Then I just sponged sky, with Soft Sky.

My Hubie wa stamped and colored with Watercolor Pencils and Blender Pens, and cut out.  So was the surfboard.

And there's a matching envelope (that retired DSP I was talking about).

But wait; there's more:

A gift in a White Gift Box, upon which I adhered that DSP (aren't those Hawaiian colors?).  Tied up with Bermuda Bay 3/8" Mini Chevron Ribbon.

And the tag:

My colleague had gone snorkeling and showed me a picture of a fish like this--I knew I had a stamp to match (Seaside Shore) so I stamped Tuxedo Black on Daffodil Delight cardstock and cut it out.  The shell and rope are also from Seaside Shore; the sentiment and flower are from Happy Birthday Gorgeous!

What a cute set for a Hawaiian memory, don't you think?


Product List





No comments: